Anthems of progress and hope: “save the planet” . . . “save the earth”. Effectively that means sentiments issuing from frightened individuals who see the place it’s going and need to make it proper once more . . . in order that their youngsters and grandchildren can get pleasure from and bask within the lush carpet of life that when lined the planet we name “ours”. Good, poignant, redeeming . . . ridiculous.
A great alternative for joyful speak about how, now that we all know what is occurring, we will flip issues round and repair it. If we had been capable of destabilize the core patterns of a complete planet, certainly we’re able to find that elusive re – set button and returning to happier occasions.
1- It isn’t “our” world.
2 – There isn’t any re-set or resurrection button for “saving” an annihilated world ecosphere that took thousands and thousands of years to evolve.
3 – When destabilized, any system in nature will search a brand new stability. Right here, we’re coping with a planet, a posh, residing world that’s a part of an infinitely prolonged universe. The method is mild years past our capability to manage, predict or mannequin.
4 – There isn’t any “going again” to something.
“No man ever steps in the identical river twice.” (Heraclitus)
5 – Even when, by some miracle, the worldwide neighborhood had been to completely cooperate in retooling for sustainability, mitigation is, more than likely, the one chance left.
Nevertheless, there is no such thing as a signal of that cooperation. As an alternative, the entire main poisonous exercise that has introduced us to this disaster level has elevated reasonably than decreased. Fossil gasoline consumption, struggle, unbridled industrial air pollution of the earth, ambiance and oceans haven’t paused or skipped a beat.
6 – It could be tough to not discover the beautiful hypocrisy within the charade of “world leaders” pretending to unravel the issue.
- Audio system at UN’s COP28 local weather summit this yr within the United Arab Emirates had been instructed to not protest or “criticize companies” in a warning that cited the Gulf state’s legal guidelines.
The host nation has appointed Sultan al-Jaber, (head of Abu Dhabi’s state-owned oil firm Adnoc), to the presidency of COP28. Guess the place his pursuits lie?
- An unlimited portion of the Gulf of Mexico, spanning an space the scale of Italy, was not too long ago put up for public sale for oil and gasoline drilling, within the newest blow to Joe Biden’s popularity on coping with the local weather disaster.
- Fox Information: U.N. Secretary-Common Antonio Guterres not too long ago referred to as on rich nations to maneuver up its net-zero emissions aim from 2050 to 2040. A current memo was despatched to each Republican member of Congress urging lawmakers to dismiss the United Nations’ “alarmist report” on local weather change.
- *Based on an annual Banking on Local weather Chaos report launched April 12, 2023, the world’s 60 largest banks have spent $5.5 trillion on financing fossil gasoline tasks since 2016, when the Paris Settlement local weather pact got here into impact. Banks in six international locations dominate world monetary spending on the fossil gasoline sector : United States, Canada, China, Japan, France and Nice Britain. US banks supplied 28 per cent of the whole financing in 2022.
- Exception: The one world chief not main a struggle or weapons primarily based financial system and who is just not owned by industrial lobbyists, Pope Francis, reminds us : “Any technical answer which science claims to supply can be powerless to unravel the intense issues of our world if humanity loses its compass, if we lose sight of the nice motivations which make it doable for us to stay in concord, to make sacrifices and to deal with others effectively.”
Life on planet earth is diminishing. The speed at which that is taking place is just not slowing down. It’s growing. This isn’t hypothesis. It’s a truth. It’s not debatable. It’s actual.
Research, studies, simulations, fashions, particular panels, and so on. . . . “trim” . . . honest and sincere busywork meant for shopper consumption . . . however too restricted in scope to embody the enormity of fast, dynamic, world, environmental free – fall.
The one doable strategy to decelerate or mitigate the continuing destabilization of the atmosphere is by worldwide cooperation in stopping the actions fueling the meltdown (everyone knows what these are) and sucking up the financial prices and hardships of huge retooling for sustainability. Troublesome, but it surely’s the one selection.
Individuals are extraordinary engineers and have the aptitude to attain this. The secret is not debate or speaking or compiling studies. The secret is merely doing it.
Save the Planet
“It’s a deal. All you individuals hear that ?”
by Charles Bukowski
Preview attachment Apollos Realm.jpg
Joseph Carlisi – Biography
Born and raised in New York Metropolis, he earned BA and MA levels in Philosophy at Hunter School of the Metropolis College of New York after which continued his graduate research in Philosophy and Synthetic Intelligence at Massachusetts Institute of Know-how working underneath the mentorship of Marvin Minsky. Joseph labored as an element time content material and replica editor for Harvard College Press (science and drugs) whereas attending M.I.T.
After ten years as a college lecturer, researcher and administrator, he began and managed an promoting / public relations agency in San Diego, CA that dealt with a variety of economic accounts. On the educational facet, he revealed a collection of seven articles on animal habits for Harvard Journal and two books: “A Information to Private Energy” and most not too long ago “Enjoying God on the Eve of Extinction”.
Joseph Carlisi creates oil on canvas work that may be described as vivid, surreal and sudden. His work have been exhibited and bought in: Honolulu, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, New York Metropolis, Miami, Tokyo, Yokohama, Amsterdam, Berlin and Salvador Brazil.
Joe’s artwork is accessible for buy.
Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.